The Stuart Area District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 27 May 1983. The district is roughly bounded by the Michigan Central Railroad, Douglas, Forbes, W. Main, North, Elm Streets. and Grand Avenue. Covering 1220 acres, the district contains 372 buildings, 50 of which were added in a 1995 boundary increase that included sections of Ransom, Willard, Eleanor, Douglas, and North Streets., as well as Allen Boulevard.
In addition to being listed as a national historic district, the Stuart Area also enjoys local historic district status. The boundaries of the national and local district are identical.