101 Things to Do in Central Florida - A Work in Progress
- Explore one of Central Florida's classic attractions, Gatorland, a 110-acre wildlife preserve and theme park that first opened its doors as a roadside attraction in 1949 and has evolved into the “Alligator Capital of the World.”
- Get a bird's-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort aboard Characters in Flight, a 72-foot-diameter tethered balloon that soars up to 400 feet above the waterfront at Downtown Disney and provide passengers with a spectacular 360-degree view.
- Check out the Orlando Science Center, which boasts fun-filled interactive programs and hands-on activities that will appeal to kids and adults alike, as well as the eight-story-tall Dr. Phillips Cinedome, Crosby Observatory and full-service café.
- Hike through the 12,000-acre Disney Wilderness Preserve, which borders scenic Lake Russell and provides a great locale for wildlife viewing.
- Take a fascinating airboat ride through the amazing Central Florida everglades and explore the Sunshine State's natural heritage.
- Visit Wekiwa Springs State Park, which is nestled at the headwaters of the Wekiva River and provides a cool spring for swimming, boat rentals, hiking trails and picnic areas.
- Stroll through miles of scenic walkways at the beautiful Harry P. Leu Gardens, which features the largest collection of Camellias in the United States outside of California and the largest formal rose garden in Florida.
- Spend the afternoon strolling around Celebration, a beautiful neotraditional community that features a vibrant downtown area with specialty shops and restaurants and a movie theater.
- Spend a day in downtown Orlando and enjoy Lake Eola Park, which offers swan-shaped paddle boat rentals, walking/jogging path, picnic tables, amphitheater and a playground.
- Explore world-famous International Drive, which features dozens of specialty shops, factory outlet stores such as Prime Outlets Orlando, eclectic dining, attractions, nightlife and bustling entertainment complexes such as Pointe*Orlando.
- Visit Florida’s only folk art museum, the Mennello Museum of American Folk Art, which features the works of renowned folk artist Earl Cunningham and other highly talented folk artists, as well as traveling exhibitions, a museum store and a wonderful outdoor sculpture garden.
- Experience Jungle Adventures, a 20-acre wildlife sanctuary in Christmas that offers live wildlife shows, animal habitats, a Native American Village and jungle cruise.
- Watch Central Florida History come alive through fascinating interactive presentations and hands-on exhibits at the Orange County Regional History Center, which lies in downtown Orlando.
- Spend the morning at 300-acre Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake, which features boat rentals, nature trails, an outdoor pool, picnic areas and barbecue facilities.
- Take a hike at Tibet-Butler Preserve, which offers miles of hiking trails and the Vera Carter Environmental Center.
- Spend a day at Canaveral National Seashore, one of the 10 National Seashores in the United States, which offers a variety of recreational activities such as sunbathing, swimming, surfing, boating, lagoon and surf fishing, hiking, horseback riding and backcountry camping.
- Tour Holy Land Experience, a "living, biblical history museum" that allows visitors to meet interesting biblical characters in authentic costumes, view a fascinating collection of antiquities and explore the ancient architecture of biblical Jerusalem.
For great deals on spacious accommodations that offer easy access to Orlando attractions, consider Westgate Resorts properties such as Westgate Blue Tree Resort, Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, Westgate Leisure Resort, Westgate Palace, Westgate Towers, Westgate Town Center and Westgate Vacation Villas. For more information about the latest deals at Westgate Resorts, visit www.westgatedestinations.com.